Thursday, September 29, 2016

Jenay, 7 (Anchorage, AK) | Cancer

JENAY, 7 (Anchorage, AK) | Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
written by her mother, Christal
photographed by Danielle Wakefield (The Birth Photographer) 

In late October of 2011, our 2 year old, Jenay Faith, started walking with a little limp.  She had slowed down a bit, but never complained about anything hurting. We thought maybe something was wrong with her back, so we took her to an excellent chiropractor in town. After many x-rays, he determined there was nothing wrong with her back. 

Searching for answers, we then called her pediatrician. They did a check up and a blood test that showed her iron was very low. We were told that we needed to go to Providence Hospital and have more blood tests done directly from there. 

It was scary...not knowing why they were low, or what was going on. I remember thinking "whatever it is, God will take care of us." Instantly, a weight lifted off me and I felt peace. 

After more blood tests, we were told we needed to wait in the hospital until the results came back and they knew for sure what was wrong. It could be an infection causing her white blood cell count to soar, or it could be ALL- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. We were hoping and praying it was an infection, but after a day and a half of waiting, our worst fear was confirmed.  

On November 17, 2011, Jenay was diagnosed with ALL. It was the most devastating news we have ever received. I didn't understand how this could  happen to our healthy 2 year old baby girl. Our lives were turned upside down in an instant. 


I remember thinking "what did I do wrong? Did I not give her enough calcium and vitamins? "  I even wondered if I had not breastfed her long enough.  Doubts and fears flooded my thoughts. I came to accept that it was nothing I had or hadn't done. That it wasn't my fault. If I could have taken her place, I would have. I didn't want to see my baby go through what lied ahead.  I didn't want to face it myself. I wanted to run and hide from the world. But I would look at her sweet little face and I knew I had to face this and be strong so she would be too.

We were told we should go to Seattle Children's Hospital immediately. After discussing options with the doctors, my husband quickly reasoned and said "Jenay can be just as blessed here as anywhere else for her treatment. She needs the family around her and I need to continue to work here."  

Our oldest daughter, Jolina, was in 1st grade at the time, and we wanted to keep things  normal as much as possible for her too.  We also knew that they needed each other, as sisters do. We didn't know then that Jolina would be Jenay's biggest fan and her cheerleader. Making Jenay laugh and and keeping her spirits up was natural for her. 


We trusted the team of oncologists and doctors and nurses here at Providence to take good care of our little princess.
Jenay started treatment right away and had great success in the first month. After the first month, the cancer cells had reduced down to under 1% and  in remission. This was great news, but we still had to go through another 6 months of intense chemotherapy treatments. She lost her hair soon after treatment started, but she didn't miss it. She wore cute soft  hats to protect her soft baby like skin.  

She had some complications along the way, including a bad allergic reaction to one of the chemotherapies which required a little extra medicine to help with the alternative therapy. 

She was so brave. 

I remember one day, as the nurse was about to poke her port, she said " that's not gonna hurt". She was so strong and courageous and fearless. That's what makes her a warrior.

The nurses loved her and she loved them. She  knew they were taking care of her and felt safe and nurtured. Many of our hospital visits were a special time. Time spent together. I wouldn't change that for anything. 

Everyone at Providence was helpful, thoughtful and compassionate. It felt as though we had another family. That was the anchor  that helped us get through some of those long stays when she had fevers and counts were very low.  

Her big sister remembers these times the most. She pushed Jenay in a little squishy red car that she loved riding in. Up and down the halls in a little red tricycle, Jenay would ride. She didn't know she was building her leg muscles back again. She just loved moving and playing like  normal kids do!

Jenay's diagnosis has affected our family in many ways. It has brought our family back together. A major illness woke us up to the most  important things in life, like enjoying and celebrating  life with family. Cherishing the moments we have together. 

We are more thankful for even the smallest things; they are all blessings from above. Saying "I love you" more and  giving more hugs are healing and life-giving. We do those more now. We realize life is truly a gift and every day is a present. I guess thats why it's called the present.


Jenay is now 7 years old and in 1st grade. She is a healthy, happy, energetic, funny, bright, creative, smart and  special girl . She has conquered a disease no one should have to and she did it with grace, courage and strength. She is an inspiration and light. For that I call her a warrior (princess). 


No comments:

Post a Comment